11.30.06

Wii Complaints

Posted in games at 10:08 pm by wingerz

wiicomplaints.jpg

Nothing is perfect. Here are my main Wii gripes:

No controller off switch. One set of batteries is pretty much completely drained from button presses occurring while it was being transported from place to place. Lame. Fortunately, I have rechargeables. On the way back from NYC I inserted one small piece of paper between a battery and contact to prevent this.

Not enough network interaction. I’m dying to play something against Grant. Or at least to interact with him, maybe with our Miis or something. All I can do right now is email him, and he rarely replies.

Where’s Opera? I don’t know if I’d actually use this thing to browse the web, but I’d love to try it. Couldn’t they just let us use the Virtual Console store browser? It’s ok if it isn’t full-featured.

The nunchuk is wired. I understand that it needs to draw power from somewhere, but a wireless nunchuk would be awesome because the current hardware restricts movement. Then in future tennis games (maybe Mario Tennis, or whatever comes out), you could control your guy with the nunchuk while still taking full swings with the remote. I don’t mind needing an extra battery or some extra bulk (since it feels quite light). Hopefully someone will create a wireless nunchuk; doesn’t seem like it should be too hard.

Wii Tennis is simple. I know that this is the whole point of Wii Sports. But why can’t I at least pick which side to serve the ball to so that Rouben doesn’t crush the return to an unreachable location? And every reasonably coordinated gamer would appreciate an advanced mode where the D-pad controls your on-screen character’s movements (it would have taken no effort on the part of the developer).

Zelda sword-fighting isn’t great. It effectively involves waggling the controller for canned combinations. I’m not asking for 1-1 controls, but it would have been cooler if it recognized five core motions: L to R, R to L, UL to LR, UR to LL, and a forward stab. Unfortunately, the developers probably didn’t want to rewrite the code for fighting (so they probably just plugged in gestures to replace button presses). Also, the first boss is a bit on the easy side. Fortunately, the controller is great for aiming and fishing.

I am, of course, still happy to have the Wii and have been enjoying it immensely.

9 Comments »

1. jen said,

December 1, 2006 at 4:14 pm

another complaint:
    wii has replaced wife.

2. wingerz said,

December 1, 2006 at 8:57 pm

not now, dear, i’m playing zelda.

3. Tom said,

January 6, 2007 at 6:43 pm

bit peeded off with the controllers one decided it was going to stop registering movement and the other keeps rigging out and making me die while playing 2 player red steel but wii is still ace

4. Evan said,

April 1, 2007 at 4:17 pm

its so hard to play call of duty 3.in the game, the gun is going in circles and its hard to keep the gun still while walking. Theres also false advertising in the commercials. the kid crouches behing his couch for cover. if u do that, you’re still standing up. u have to press one of the buttons on the controller to stand crouch or go prone.

5. scott said,

July 4, 2007 at 12:40 pm

i cant leave it alone it so fun and addicting way better than any sony product and x box

6. Sh1N3d0Wn said,

February 11, 2009 at 6:08 pm

I would just like to no if Wii producers are going to come out with a headset so i can talk to people online?

7. Micheal said,

April 11, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Uhh, The Wii has to be the most best thing in the world!
    You can send messages and play lots of games for a reasonable price,
    Hey I’m only ten years old and I love to play my wii

8. Bob White said,

December 27, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Well I think the WII SUX. The movements are way too slow and cheap. Graphics are minimal. In the boxing game I threw 415 punches and only had 78 of them function. I bought a Zone 40 for my Gkids and the WII now sits on the shelf of unwanted toys and the Zone 40 is played all day with NO complaints. One day Americans are going to STOP paying for crap that does not live up to its name.

9. Merrill Meeks said,

January 13, 2010 at 12:04 am

Bought a Wii for a Christmas gift and in the first day 2 of 3 three game disc were gouged by the laser and rendered unreadable. After paying to have the discs polished and returned to working order we tried playing them again and again they were gouged. So we returned the unit as defective to Sears where we bought it and replaced it with another one and again the second unit is doing the same thing. Before you jump to the obvious conclusion that the unit is being jarred, knocked or bumped, IT IS NOT, but the laser continues to score the discs. I have never had this problem before. You would think that if they can solve this issue with CD players in cars and other items that do get bumped around there should be no problem with a Wii that just sits there. I think Sony knows this problem exist and is refusing to recall their junk until enough people who have blown $200.00 dollars just on the unit (not including ALL of the accessories and excessively expensive games speak up or just stop buying Wii altogether until they address and fix this problem!