01.01.09

Food resolutions for 2009

Posted in food, home cooking at 8:08 pm by wingerz

_mg_8757.jpg

I’ve pieced together a passable amount of food knowledge from the ATK magazines, website, books, and TV show. I’ve learned a lot from them because rather than just presenting a recipe, they’ll present techniques and detailed explanations about them. I’ve been thinking more about what I’m trying to accomplish with my cooking, and right now I’m mostly interested in continuing to learn fundamental cooking techniques and expanding my repertoire of great everyday recipes that can be prepared and served as a weeknight dinner. Of course, there’ll be more time over the weekends for more involved things like braises and roasts. I don’t really see myself going too crazy to put together fancy menus full of labor-intensive dishes, but I do hope to serve coherent, well-cooked meals.

Anyhow, here’s a handful of New Year’s resolutions for the kitchen:

Focus on “weeknight” recipes. I want healthy, tasty meals for dinner every night.
Eat less meat. For our health and the planet’s. Trying to up our whole grain intake as well.
Learn something about wine. I feel like this is a big hole in our culinary experience. I’d like to at least learn enough to know what to serve to guests and to appreciate a sip or two.
Teach Jen to cook. For a long time I’ve been buying her argument that it’s a waste of resources for us to both learn to cook. But like any team, having redundant basic skills will give us more flexibility in scheduling, and it will ultimately improve the quality of our meals.
Pay attention to dessert. Sometimes it gets forgotten, which is quite a shame.

12 Comments »

1. brian said,

January 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Come on, you drink wine? You’ll pass out before you can enjoy your tasty meals!

2. wingerz said,

January 1, 2009 at 11:08 pm

yeah, seriously. i’m going to have to be careful!

3. wilson said,

January 1, 2009 at 11:40 pm

how can you forget dessert?!?!?!?!

4. wingerz said,

January 2, 2009 at 1:10 am

sometimes it just gets lost in the hustle and bustle of the kitchen!

5. Jen said,

January 2, 2009 at 4:35 am

just for clarification: i think you teaching me to cook is a waste of *your* resources, since i am bound to suck. it might make more sense for me to try to get good at something we’re both terrible at.

6. wingerz said,

January 2, 2009 at 4:54 pm

what? no way. you’re going to be awesome! you like good food, you’re really organized, and you’ve got all the equipment that you need. plus this will pay dividends for decades!

7. nimes said,

January 2, 2009 at 7:07 pm

hey jen, if me and cameron can cook, you definitely can too :D
    it’s more fun cooking with other people, and it’s usually way faster too. plus, i am the worst at reading recipes, so it’s good when cameron is in charge of that.

8. brian said,

January 2, 2009 at 9:54 pm

just master the cook’s illustrated chicken pot pie recipe, and you’re basically covered for every meal for the rest of your life. it’s all you’ll ever want. and i was always afraid to even try chicken pot pie until we made this one.

9. wing’s (mostly) food blog » Blog Archive » food resolutions for 2009 said,

January 3, 2009 at 3:53 am

[…] my brother inspired me to make some food resolutions for 2009: […]

10. Andrea said,

January 13, 2009 at 12:18 pm

A piece of advice, Wing, if you weren’t aware already… Jenny has been known to cook. We have definitely had dinner parties at HER place, where she has done things like bake cookies from frozen pre-cut cookie dough. My advice is, do something like Semi-homemade with Sandra Lee. It’s a good starting point. :)

Wing, congratulations on moving on from ATK. ;)

11. wingerz said,

January 13, 2009 at 12:27 pm

heh, we’ve got some tollhouse pre-made cookie dough in the fridge.

atk is still the first place i look for recipes; i’m still quite enamored with it.

12. Andrea said,

January 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm

LOL. Tollhouse pre-made cookie dough — exactly.